Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Echo - Short Film Review



Echo (2011) - Lewis Arnold




Genre: Personal interest/ true story

Narrative: 17 year old Caroline breaks down after receiving a phone call delivering some tragic news, but her reaction soon reveals there is more to this call than first appears. 

Representation: Untrustworthy people, troubled youth, addiction, grief.

Audience: We're onlookers with no addition to the story.

Notable Micro Elements: 

  • Establishing shot of normal high street
  • Close ups
  • Long take in cab - pov long shot
  • Quick cuts with phone call
  • Profile in bed - isolates herself
  • Put on right side of shot - lots of space showing she's isolated 
  • Sound muted at end - intense

My response to the film: I found that I didn't like this film at all. This includes the plot and characters. I found the story line didn't teach me anything at all and we were put right at the beginning again, with no changes in her life apart from the face she was once caught. I also didn't like the way she treat her brother even though he was be caring and only wanted what was best for her.
What could I use? 
I found the only good part was the establishing shot where it wasn't obvious right at the beginning who the main character was. She blended in with the grey setting and it was until she was speaking on the phone that we were told.
What could I develop?
The close up shots for showing emotion is quite good to use, especially in intense situations.
What could I challenge?
To have a resolution to the plot, or at least have something happens that changes the beginning so that it doesn't go in a complete circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short Film

Short Film