Arrival (2016) - Daniel Montanarini
Narrative: A woman contemplates whether or not to keep her baby, while waiting for her lover to arrive in a small cafe.
Representation: Thoughts of an unplanned pregnancy, train - lots of thoughts all at once, time pressure that women can have children.
Audience: Hear her thoughts, everyone has different views on unplanned pregnancy's and the blurb might impact how people go into watching it.
Audience: Hear her thoughts, everyone has different views on unplanned pregnancy's and the blurb might impact how people go into watching it.
Notable Micro Elements:
- See woman through door window - worker shuts it so the screen is clear and the story begins
- Zoom in slowly
- Voice over
- Can still hear background noise
- Lights dim - focus on her
- Mans back blanks screen - indicating she's going to tell him
- She's wearing white - dark background
My response to the film: I quite liked this film and I felt closer with the character as I was able to hear all her thoughts, opinions and questions. The minimal speech makes it realistic and does help with the character development, such as the coffee she ends up having spills everywhere, and does choose a different drink at the end that would be more suited for the baby. The use of train shows her 'train of thoughts' and how overwhelming situations like that can be. Furthermore, what happens in the background influences what she is thinking, which smoothly develops the story.
What could I use?
Using voice overs for thoughts as this connects the character with the audience. Also, I do find these sort of plots interesting as you can have multiple versions just because everyone have different views on something, and everyone's situation is different depending on the relations and setting.
Using voice overs for thoughts as this connects the character with the audience. Also, I do find these sort of plots interesting as you can have multiple versions just because everyone have different views on something, and everyone's situation is different depending on the relations and setting.
What could I develop?
The idea of background activity changing the course of the plot or characters thought, but to perhaps have some that interact with the characters or the plot to make it more interesting.
The idea of background activity changing the course of the plot or characters thought, but to perhaps have some that interact with the characters or the plot to make it more interesting.
What could I challenge?
I wouldn't make it as theatrical, such as the train or chiaroscuro, to bring it more down to earth and realistic.
I wouldn't make it as theatrical, such as the train or chiaroscuro, to bring it more down to earth and realistic.
No comments:
Post a Comment