Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Tight Jeans - Short Film Review



Tight Jeans (2008) - Destiny Ekharga




Genre: Light comedy

Narrative: Three black teenagers are becoming frustrated while waiting for their friend. A young white lad walks past wearing super tight jeans. The boys look on until one of them asks the pivotal question, "How can a man wear jeans that tight?" This sparks a hilarious debate about race and culture.
—Destiny Ekaragha

Representation: White women wanting to be a part of the black community, and young people/young black men.

Audience: We're watching the guys, and so are not part of the conversation.


Notable Micro Elements: 

  • Camera always moving
  • Clothing colour pops out compared to the grey estate
  • Font and music at the beginning sets the tone
  • The urban location shows potentially deprived people, which has the same vibe as Do The Right Thing film.

My response to the film: Not the most interesting short film, and I wouldn't say I really liked it. But at points I did think it was funny and I thought it was interesting how their conversation was carried, with comparing tight jeans to white women, and then eventually talking about their cultures history, such as slavery.
What could I use? 
The establishing shots at the beginning gave an indication to us on the type of people we would be seeing. And I might use the use of bright clothing with dark backgrounds, just because of how much your characters will stand out.
What could I develop?
Having the characters in only one setting is quite good to use for character development. Or if I am wanting to go for a more narrative type film.
What could I challenge?
The lack of a distinctive plot line is what I didn't really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short Film

Short Film