The Fly (2014) - Olly Williams
Genre: Dark comedy
Narrative: An uptight getaway driver waiting outside a bank robbery has three nerve shredding minutes to get through before his crew returns. All he has to do is focus.
Representation: How people react in tense situations.
Audience: We're half watching/ half experiencing the fly with him.
Audience: We're half watching/ half experiencing the fly with him.
Notable Micro Elements:
- Fly sound effect
- Cuts back to the bank, with muffled voices, showing the more serious side to the film
- Lots of angles and shots to show how tense and quick paced this is
- Fly sound used even up to the very end, when it has become obvious that the bank robbers are caught.
My response to the film: I mostly do like this film, and I think it's because I can relate to it! I am a person that gets stressed about a fly not leaving me alone, and so in that way I feel for the guy and that's what sets me apart from someone that doesn't like this film, that they may have not experienced what I have. I liked the use of different camera shots, which works well when it's set in a confined space because it kept me interested to see him experiencing this situation in different parts, either outside or inside the car. I do think that the ending was maybe too stupid and overdone, but on the other hand I love that it is overdramatized, because that is where the humour comes from.
What could I use?
I am going to think about how I can quicken the pace with some parts of my film, and in this one I've learnt you can do that with quickly cutting to different shots and angles.
I am going to think about how I can quicken the pace with some parts of my film, and in this one I've learnt you can do that with quickly cutting to different shots and angles.
What could I develop?
The use of cutting between two scenes interests me, as they both can connect but tell completely different stories, which I think is a fun aspect to a film.
The use of cutting between two scenes interests me, as they both can connect but tell completely different stories, which I think is a fun aspect to a film.
What could I challenge?
Maybe not use something as annoying as a fly, and to perhaps do a more serious story line.
Maybe not use something as annoying as a fly, and to perhaps do a more serious story line.
No comments:
Post a Comment