Slap (2015) - Nick Rowland
Narrative: A teenage boxer must finally come to terms with his true nature and confronts standards of masculinity.
Representation: Stereotypical males - blue walls, half naked women posters. Trans community. Lower class Britain.
Audience: No sugarcoating - told it as it is.
Audience: No sugarcoating - told it as it is.
Notable Micro Elements:
My response to the film: I enjoyed the short film and thought it was very professionally done. My response to this film may be biased just because there are two well known actors as the main characters that I know and enjoy anyway. The story line was simple, but it was the characters and the cinematography that, for me, made it more interesting to watch and made it more complex than just a boy who is transgender.
- Music compliments
- Mirror - reflection shows duality, cracked mirror shows distortion of face
- Juxtaposition between him and condom machine 'Stud'
- High/low angles after friend beaten up
- Walking down the centre of the road in what he feels comfortable in
My response to the film: I enjoyed the short film and thought it was very professionally done. My response to this film may be biased just because there are two well known actors as the main characters that I know and enjoy anyway. The story line was simple, but it was the characters and the cinematography that, for me, made it more interesting to watch and made it more complex than just a boy who is transgender.
What could I use?
Using a mirror to show duality is an interesting concept. I also know that using mirrors makes the actor most vulnerable as they cannot hide anything that they do or how they look. So, if I do use this idea it will increase the emotional state.
Using a mirror to show duality is an interesting concept. I also know that using mirrors makes the actor most vulnerable as they cannot hide anything that they do or how they look. So, if I do use this idea it will increase the emotional state.
What could I develop?
The music did compliment the film well all the way through. And I will come back to this short film for inspiration for when making mine.
The music did compliment the film well all the way through. And I will come back to this short film for inspiration for when making mine.
What could I challenge?
I possibly couldn't use this type of story line as I have no experience in this matter, and wouldn't want to use it without proper research and having been told what transgender people have gone through, and their different experiences. This is because I wouldn't want to offend or look clueless in the matter.
I possibly couldn't use this type of story line as I have no experience in this matter, and wouldn't want to use it without proper research and having been told what transgender people have gone through, and their different experiences. This is because I wouldn't want to offend or look clueless in the matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment