Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Operator - Short Film Review


The Operator (2015) - Caroline Bartleet






Genre: Suspense

Narrative: An Emergency Services Operator in a Fire Control Room has just started a long night shift when she picks up a call from a desperate young mother. An hour previously, Gemma had fallen asleep in front of the television and has now woken to find the room full of smoke. Her three year old son is trapped in his bedroom upstairs. Flames have started to creep down the stairs that Gemma must use in order to reach him. The operator’s guidance is all that Gemma can rely on in order to survive.

Representation: The struggle of being a fire service operator, which is having to remain calm and help people who could be in a life or death situation. And then they instantly have to go onto another call without having the opportunity to recover with what they have just been a part of.

Audience: We're placed in the operators point of view, and there is no visual aid only sound.


Notable Micro Elements: 

  • Overlapping voices
  • Only hearing the victims voice and the sound effect of fire
  • Close ups of the operator 
  • Slow moving in terms of giving different shots and angles

My response to the film: This film did make me cry, and I think it is because of how intense this film actually is. I think what made it scarier was not being able to see what the victim was seeing, so we have to use our imagination. And if you've never been in the situation that is put towards us, then it is hard for us to comprehend what the mother must be going through, as well as, the poor operator who has to keep collected to save people's lives.
What could I use? 
Having voice overs, it could possibly make a situation more tense or emotional.
What could I develop?
The use of close ups, but instead I would like to experiment of having different angles and seeing if having more close ups or longs shots is better.
What could I challenge?
The plot is not something I could copy just because I think without proper research of hearing actual 999 calls or being in a similar situation. You would not be able to present it in the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short Film

Short Film