PLANNING
Script
FADE IN
INT. girls toilet. day
The door opens to the girls bathroom, revealing three
cubicles. One of which is closed.
We see a series of empty toilet stands, ending up on one with pink, scruffy trainers. Her feet are
turned in, with one foot tapping rapidly.
MEGAN
Shit.
We see a pregnancy test, and a girl with disbelief across her whole face.
(Silence)
MEGAN
(V.O.)
This wasn't meant to happen yet.
Exams
Uni
Work
And now this? How am I going to tell them? They're gonna be so angry. I knew it was wrong at the
time, but I love him and I trust him.
I mean, he would make a great dad, but not now. I'd make a great mum, but not now. Just not now.
MEGAN exits the toilet stall and stands in front of the mirror. We see her in baggy clothes, hiding any signs of the beginning of a bump.
I mean...
would it be bad to keep it? If Nathan says he loves me as much as he says he does, wouldn’t he
support me?
Support... It?
We could still build a life together, it would be just start a few years before everybody else, that’s
fine.
And just think of the little clothes, the little fingers and that smile that they give you when they see you in the morning.
What would my mum think though? She wants me to succeed and not go through the same situations she was once in.
But maybe after the initial shock she would help me. Help me raise it if, God forbid, Nathan doesn’t want to...
Perhaps I am just overthinking this, just tell him first.
The door starts to open and the voices of two girls appears. MEGAN returns to the cubicle before
they see her.
ASHLEY
Ugh, Ruby what were you thinking!?
RUBY
(snorts)
I don’t know. Regret it now though don’t I.
ASHLEY and RUBY go towards the sink, in front of the cubicle that MEGAN is in. MEGAN stands against the cubicle wall, trying to stay silent.
ASHLEY
So, did you hear about that girl, can’t remember her name now. Got pregnant by some random guy she met at a party.
RUBY
Oh my God yes I heard... ain’t her name Jade? She’s in my maths or something.
ASHLEY
She's keeping it as well. Who'd chuck their life away on that?
RUBY
(laughs)
Such a slag.
ASHLEY
Oi you can't talk!
RUBY
What do you mean by that!?
ASHLEY
I heard what happened Saturday night at Lucy's.
RUBY stays silence, still making out that she doesn't know what ASHLEY is talking out.
ASHLEY
You and Nathan?
RUBY
God don’t remind me.
ASHLEY
Why not?
RUBY
He was rubbish!
We see MEGAN with her hand covering her mouth, and tears falling from her eyes. Meanwhile,
ASHLEY and RUBY are laughing in the background.
RUBY
(V.O)
Don’t tell Megan. She’ll only have a go at me, and I can’t be asked for the drama.
A school bell rings and we hear ASHLEY and RUBY leave the bathroom.
MEGAN
(V.O)
That’s it. I’m getting rid of it.
How could Nathan do that to me.
What was I thinking, I’m only seventeen, I couldn’t bring up another life.
I can’t even look after myself.
Would an abortion be that bad?
I heard some people just go to the doctors and it’s done that same day.
No hassle.
I don’t know if I could do it alone. Who would go with me?
Definitely not Ruby or Ashley now. Great friends they are.
Mum maybe, if I get round to telling her.
I’ll probably go alone, it’ll be okay.
Just ring the doctors and book an appointment.
Easy.
But could I actually go through with it?
MEGAN exits the stall and starts walking slowly to the door
to leave.
MEGAN
(V.O)
I should tell somebody though.
Someone might help me through this.
Help me choose my decision.
It’s the most sensible thing for me to do.
And it’s not like I can act like a child anymore.
MEGAN turns around and starts walking back and forth,
whilst looking up and down in deep confusion.
Megan finally stops at the sinks, and pulls out her phone.
We see her using it until finally she puts the phone to her
ear.
MEGAN
Hi, I have something to tell you.
FADE OUT
Shot List
· Long shot – we can see the line of cubicles, pans forward to the cubicles and falls down to the bottom. Pan along bottom of cubicles – from the first to the third. Stop once we see feet. Camera will go under the cubicle and tilt up to low angle shot, looking up at the girl. The pregnancy test in front of her face.
· Tilt camera up as the monologue begins
· Long shot as we see the girl walking out the cubicle
· Side shot as she is looking in the mirror
· Close up for the end of the first part
· Side shot of Megan seeing the door open
· Mid shot of door as Ashley and ruby walks in.
· Long shot of cubicles – Megan closes the door
· Long shot of the girls going to the sink
· Close up of Megan against the cubicle wall
· Side shots of the girls conversation progresses
· Extreme close up of Megan covering her mouth and the girls conversation ending in the background
· Long shot of the bathroom. We see Ashley and Ruby walk out – keep the scene empty for for 10 seconds.
· Camera pans down as Megan sinks down to floor
· Slowing go to a close up as the monologue continues
· Pan up as she gets up again
· Long shot of the bathroom until she gets to the door
· Long shot behind her as she turns around – keep shot as she walks up and down
· Side of shot her going to the sink
· Close up of her using her phone – looks at the camera when saying the last line
No comments:
Post a Comment